Have you heard of The Four Burners Theory? It a kind of a slightly more developed scaremongering theory, encouraging people not to multi-task but on a grander scale than say trying to do your taxes and chat on Facebook at the same time.
Here’s the basic concept. You need to imagine that your life is a stove (theoretically) with four burners on it. Each burner symbolises one major quadrant of your life.
- The first burner represents your family.
- The second burner is your friends.
- The third burner is your health.
- The fourth burner is your work.
The Four Burners Theory says that in order to be successful you have to cut off one of your burners. And in order to be really successful, you have to cut off two. Which two do you choose?
So your life becomes a balancing act of figuring out which burners are on and off.
- Can you survive with all four burners running?
- Which burner is the most important? And is it the same for everyone?
- Is it possible to outsource burners?
- Can you turn burners on and off all day?
- What about the concept of burner seasons?